121 Youth Support

Are you LGBTQIA+, 11-17, and living in Devon?

Proud2Be offers FREE 121 support where you can be who you are and talk about what you want with a kind and supportive LGBTQIA+ youth worker.

It is likely that you will have some questions – we have answered the most frequently asked questions that we get asked by young people about the service:

Do I have to?

No. This support is entirely voluntary and is led by you. You get to decide whether this support is right for you and whether or not you want to give it a go.

What will happen at the sessions?

Again this is led by you! If you live in South Devon, youth workers can meet you; at school, at home, outside (if it’s dry), at a cafe, at the Proud2Be Hub in Newton Abbot or online. If you live in another part of Devon we can offer sessions online.

You can do some crafts, play board games, fill in some workshop sheets or just chat! This is your safe space to explore things that are important to you with someone who is not a friend/family member/teacher/social worker.

How many sessions will I have?

You can have up to 12 sessions (usually lasting an hour each) but you may not feel you need that many – this will be led by you!

You can also have a trial session with no pressure to continue if it doesn’t feel right for you – you can always get in touch with us at a later date if you change your mind.

Is this the same as counselling?

This support is not counselling and our youth workers are not counsellors. If we felt that a counsellor would be better placed to give support, we would talk about this with you at the assessment.

Will you have to tell others about what I talk about in the sessions?

We are committed to ensuring that you feel free to share information with a youth support worker in a confidential manner.

You can expect that any information you give to a youth support worker is treated as sensitive and confidential and will not be shared UNLESS:

  • You ask us to
  • We believe that you, or another person, is in danger or is being harmed. We would always try to talk to you about this first.
  • You disclose that you are involved, or plan to become involved in acts of terrorism.
  • We are told we have to by law, for example for a court case.

Being LGBTQIA+ in itself is not a safeguarding issue and for this reason, we wouldn’t share information about your identity with anyone else in your life – unless you ask us to.

Who can make a referral?

Depending on your age and other factors, you may be able to refer yourself into the service. Alternatively, you can ask a parent/carer or someone who works with you (like a teacher, GP or social worker) to make a referral on your behalf.

If you are referring on behalf of a young person, please talk to the young person first about what is on offer and whether they would like some extra support.

How do I make a referral?

To find out how to make a referral for 121 support, get in touch with Mel, our Youth Services Coordinator by filling out the contact form below:

    What would you like to talk about? *

    121 SupportYouth GroupsSomething else

    If requesting a call, what time/s work for you?



    School Counsellor

    I recently had my final counselling session with a pupil who you came into school to see. He told me how meeting you had such a positive impact on how he was feeling at that time. I wanted to say a huge thank you for reaching out to him at a time when he needed some answers.

    School Counsellor